View Single Post
Old 08-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #50
HUSSEY

Re: "Albert" -- 1949 AD, S10 Chassis

Since I’ve got my cab position figured out I’ve moved on to building my cab mounts. There is nothing new or innovative going on here. I’m basically using the ideas I’ve seen in many other build threads, I just tweaked the dimensions to fit my build. The front and rear mounts are constructed from 11 GA 4x4 in. square tubing. The top plate is 3/16 in. thick.

I’m using S10 body bushings but replaced the factory rubber ones with Energy Suspension black polyurethane bushings, P/N 3-4130G.

For the front cab mounts here is what I came up with.
1) The cab mounts were constructed to place the bottom of the cab floor board support 4 in. from the top of the frame.
2) The front cab mounts use the original front cab mount holes of the AD cab.
3) The front cab mounts are mounted 2 in. forward from the front of the oval hole in the frame. This positions my wheels just forward of center. I plan on dropping the front a couple more inches. Because of the front suspension geometry, dropping the front suspension should bring the front wheels back a little bit.

For the rear cab mounts here is what I came up with.
1) The rear cab mounts were made to level the cab with the chassis.
2) The rear cab mounts use one of the original holes the AD shackle cab mounts bolted to.
3) I also ran an 11 GA 2x1 in. rectangular tubing between the two rear cab mounts. The tubing is drilled to bolt to the floor at three additional locations. I thought this would add some additional support.
4) The center to center distance between the front and rear cab mounts is 36-1/4 in.

Before fully welding anything, I tacked the mounts together then tacked them to the frame. I then mounted the cab and all the front sheet metal to double check my fit. Then, I tore everything down, cut the mounts off, welded them up, welded them to the frame, and then re-installed the cab and front sheet metal.

A harbor freight holes saw set worked well enough. I found drilling at the lowest speed possible results in faster cutting.

The front cab mounts are mounted 2 in. forward of the oval hole in the frame.

I ended up notching the front of the front cab mouts to provide a little more clearance. Makes getting the cab on and off easier too.

The center to center distance between the front and rear cab mounts is 36-1/4 in.