View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 01:41 AM   #1178
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

At the beginning of August last year, we headed up to the car show at Watson Lake (the show we typically enter the Suburban into solely for the preferred parking). We passed on entering the Suburban this year and it worked out ok as we found some pretty sweet rides out in the parking area.

This old Napco was my favorite of the day:

Inside the show there was a cool old sedan setup in old-school camp fashion:

Behind the plywood is a tiny wood stove for heat:

Proof you don't need all of the latest and greatest technology to have a good time.

We wandered around the show, saw a bunch of neat stuff in the cool weather, then decided to head for home. On the way back we took a turn off the highway for no reason and did a little wandering around back in the hills. We had no destination in mind, just seeing what we could see. We ended up finding an old cemetery:

The old fencing around it was really ornate. Nothing like it would be today. The fence posts had some really neat tensioning devices on it:

Never seen anything like it before.

Wandering along following some old maps that could have used a healthy dose of updating we followed what we believed to be a road that would lead us out of where we were. We came to an area that had washed out pretty bad. After walking ahead and determining it kind of resembled what was on the map, we decided to press on. The washout crossed the trail at an odd angle:

Dropping in:

We got through that ok and just a little further down the trail we came across another area that washed out. It didn't look like much, but did flex the truck out a little going across it.

Then came one of my favorite pictures of the truck:

After we got out of that area we did some wandering around in a different area. Not much to post pictures of, but I did see a really neat rock in an undisclosed location:

So for having no plans to run trails on our journey, we ended up having a great day. Not knowing exactly where we were definitely added to the adventure of the whole thing. Good times!!