View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
Shawn5800

100% newb to the carb scene

Hey guys,

New to the site and new to the carb type vehicles. I have always heard nightmares about them but im hoping i can "set it and forget it."

The truck i just purchased had a 400 SB swapped into it by a shop with an Edelbrock 1406 carb set up and its supposedly cammed, that im not sure of. It ran great driving it home about 25 miles, and ran great the first day i drove it. I stopped at the gas station before a car show and put 87 octane into it (thats what the PO said he has used since he had the truck).

I dont know its related but since that time the truck has been "surging?" forward at stop lights and stalling or sounds like its starving for fuel but sometimes will stall and sometimes teeter on the edge but never die. If i keep light throttle it will stay running. Funny thing is it seems fine at WOT and never runs rough under normal speeds. It does NOT do it when its cold started but within about a mile of warm up it will start. Did i get a bad batch of gas or did i make a mistake using 87 octane?

Also, the PO told me that in order to start this truck you must hold the pedal to the floor for a second to engage choke, is that flooding it to much? Sorry for the newb questions but im really trying to figure this out without taking it to the shop. Any who feels like enlightening me on this carb setup and what 4 barrel means would be awesome!

Also, does anyone know where the hell the oil dipstick should be located on this engine? I literally cannot find one.

Thanks all!
Shawn5800 is offline   Reply With Quote