View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
mr48chev

Re: So how much do you actually drive yours??

I've had mine since 1973 and between 1973 and 2003 it was my daily driver all but about six years when it was torn down for rebuilds.

In that period I wore it out three times and went through 4 engines, 6 transmissions, 5 rear ends and a lot of gas and oil. The last engine had 94 K on it when I put it in the truck as a "temporary" engine in Aug of 1988 and the worn out remains of that engine are still in the truck. I probably drove it 125K between 1988 and 2003 as in that period it was my daily driver 90% of the time and got driven in all kinds of weather from 110 degees in the summer to 20 below in the winter on a 35 mile drive to work until I bought a 150$ 79 Cadillac deville that had a heater in it but a bashed up passenger side.

The main reason it never got finished was that I was always driving it. After this rebuild hopefully it won't have to do daily driver duty again but it is going to get some long road trips the first one being to Texas to visit inlaws and go to the Lone Star roundup. After that we will probably hit ten shows or so a year with it but never go back to the 30 or so we hit every year for about 15 years in a row.

Truth is I may have to build a second and milder AD truck just for a daily driver to run around in. I like driving these trucks too much to let one sit.

I've got a friend with a nice but a bit dated modified AD who only takes it to a couple of shows a year and a cruise night or two and who's excuse for not driving it is that he has too much money tied up in it (between 15 and 20 and drives year old 45,000 Silverado instead.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote