View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 06:42 AM   #429
NastyBuzzard

Re: 1987 GMC V1500 Sierra Classic LS swap/build

Here are better pictures of the "transfer case harness."

This is the end that would go under the hood.

This end plugs onto the transfer case. The rear is for VSS and as you can see the wiring doesn't go back into the harness it just goes to another plug. From this and some help elsewhere I found out that there is supposed to be a jumper to connect this plug to the plug at the end of the transmission wiring harness. The other plug is for 4x4 indication.

So since for the life of me I couldn't remember where that jumper was or where in the world to find it, I did the next best thing, I cut the end off the pigtail at the end of the transmission harness and spliced in the 91 VSS and voila!! My speedometer worked!

Here is a video of me going through the gears, not sure if it is hitting 4th and going in OD though... Hard to tell, doesn't seem like it is. I say this because normally when I do this test with the rear wheels jacked up, once the TC locks up the speedometer shoots to like 80. I was having problems getting to 60.

So I got a little rambunctious. I started filling the radiator with water and was going to try and shoot down the dirt road.

After I finally thought I got it filled the first thing to go wrong was the top transmission line flew out the radiator and sprayed hot fluid everywhere. Apparently I forgot to put in the little locking clip.

From there I was worried that trans fluid & water got mixed because the fluid looked weird. Possibly from being hot, I am not sure. However, it doesn't appear they mixed.

So I plugged the line back up and tried to drive it around the yard. Then one of the lower hoses popped off and sprayed all my water out. The one hose I forgot to put the clamp on of course.

So I let it cool and checked to make sure no blown head gasket. Trans fluid and oil still clean.

I let it cool for a few hours and went back to fill it with water and then I couldn't get it to take any water at all, just kept getting hot and bubbling back.

So I finally just drove it into the shop at about 225 deg and shut it off. Fluids still look clean.

I guess the best thing to do is to jack up the front end and put in water to help bleed out air.
2010 CTS V- The "NastyBuzzard"
1979 Trans Am - Eventually getting 6.0/T56 swap with boost
NastyBuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote