View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 01:04 AM   #3
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
Did you use plastic polish or just polishing compound on the instrument panel lense?
Are you going to replace the rag joint on your steering shaft with the Chrokee piece? I did it on my 93 and it is a nice improvement.
Honyock! My God, Larry spent too much time in Detroit, the Polacks rubbed off on him.
Next thing you know he will be using dupyosh!
You aren't going to believe what I used on the lense. I actually used turtle wax chrome polish with a Mothers power cone on my cordless drill. I was a little skeptical at first, but I tried it out on the lense for the underhood light first. The chrome polish had just enough "grit" to really work out the imperfections on the underhood light and the use of the power cone saved my fingers. I also tried it out on a second cluster lense just in case before I did the correct one.

I figured out a technique with the power cone that really did the deed best too. I put a dab of polish on the tip of the cone. Press the tip on the lense and work it in before pulling the trigger. Once the polish is worked in, I pulled the trigger and worked a single section at a time. My drill is a giant 19.2v craftsman so it was easier to let the drill sit on the work surface (my s10 tailgate!) and moved the lense with my other hand applying slight pressure. After the polish is worked in well I then used the larger end of the cone (working on the side) to use the dry section of the cone to "buff" off the dried polish. Using this process I did have a couple of deeper scratches I had to work out but by going over those 2 or three times worked out the scratches to the point they were gone.

I'm going to stick with the stock steering shaft for now. Now would be a good time to do it, but the budget needs to be spent carefully to get what I need to make it run. Still have to get the exhaust done too. I got a hookup on it, but it will still cost some dough.

Larry has the tranny and t-case out on the floor now. He cleaned them up and now I need to perform the tv cable mods, converter lockup wiring mods and reseal it up. He's leaving this mess up to me.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote