View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
ihatericeburners

New Cam/heads and it wont start. Help!

Started with a goodwrench 350 and added a comp cams xe262 and stock vortec heads, with edelbrock manifold. I have an edelbrock 1406 carb with a rebuilt HEI, I did myself. I replaced the timing set. I have verified TDC with a piston stop and marked my balancer. I installed new hydraulic lifters from comp cams.

While attempting to first attempt to start the engine, I got a small backfire through the carb. The engine sounds like it wants to run but only starts to sputter slightly. I checked the orientation of my rotor, pointing to the number 1 plug on the cap. I rechecked that TDC matched the intake valve closing and by feeling the blowing of air out the plug hole. The valves were lashed using the jiggle up and down method and turning crank 90 degrees at a time. I primed the engine with the tool with the collar to get oil flow the galleries. She had plenty of oil pressure. Filled the bowls with fuel, and filled the line from the mechanical pump to the carb. There is fuel into the carb. Firing order has been triple checked. My battery has been verified with a load test and I have 12 volts to the Hei. I have the initial timing set to 10 degrees BTDC. Timing was verified by a timing light while engine was cranking. Therefore I must have spark to the plugs if the light was picking up the signal.

I am just stumped on what my issue is. I am open to any ideas on what to check next and possible solutions.

Thanks in advance!
ihatericeburners is offline   Reply With Quote