View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 02:13 PM   #2
KShortell

The choke light is actuated by an oil pressure switch. If your idle rpm's drop too low, it'll come on-- not necessarily a choke problem.

There's no computer, no ESC (Electronic Spark Control), etc. on your 350. The factory 350s were like this up through '86. You do have an electric choke, though.

To be honest, I haven't had to screw around with my carb in all the years I've had it, although I did farm out the choke replacement about 3 months ago when I was having all the valve stem seals, rear main seal, etc. replaced. I was having a cold start/cold idle problem.

The idle speed and mixture adjustment screws are straightforward carb stuff. You shouldn't have to adjust the mixture screw, however. That would require an exhaust gas analyzer to really get it right. That's why they're set at the factory and have the tamper-resistant stuff on 'em.

Setting your timing is a manual affair. Again, you have no computer. It's a standard HEI with vacuum advance only. Your spec. should be 8 deg. BTDC at idle rpm. Full mechanical advance (no vacuum connected) should be no more than 32-34 deg. BTDC max. at 3,000 rpm.

I hope this helps a bit...

Good luck!
Kevin