View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #221
chevyrestoguy

Re: Chevyrestoguy's '55 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
Well Alex... first time posting here with your builds, I just got through reading both of them (55 and 64). Im gonna give you some of my opinions on both and I hope you take it as constructive criticism and not anything else. You are definitely a talented individual and you have so much to offer this 'truck build community'. Thanks for all the information you have put together since 2007!

At face value it appears that the '64 is your actual dream truck and the '55 is really not. With all the time and energy that you have put into that 'other truck' Im sure the '55 could have been roadworthy and going to shows by now. BUT... its not.... AND on top of that it is such an incredible piece of mechanical art at this point that you have started... that it needs to be completed by somebody who WANTS and NEEDS a truck of this caliber. It shouldn't be sitting, taking up space in your "second spot in the garage" any longer. It SHOULD be taking up the FIRST spot in someones shop or garage that really wants to see this truck in all its grandeur and finally finished off to what it can truly become. "A One-Off 1955 Custom Chevy Stepside Truck"

And also while I totally understand time and work and life and home commitments, there HAS to be a 'hobby time commitment' when you take on these projects, even for yourself.... That is really the biggest problem with 'hot-rodding' today is there are so many "Hotrod, Bike, and Boat projects out there in people's garages that they get into and then they just rot away because they never get finished. I can totally relate because I bought somebody elses beginning project and I guess all Im trying to say is give your BEAUTIFUL TRUCK a chance to get COMPLETED.... if not by you (sadly) .... then think about finding it a new home that YOU know it will be done to your standards.

And again - please understand this is a motivational word of encouragement to Get 'r done!!! lol and not anything else. I would really like to see this truck on the road sometime soon just like all your other Forum Fans.

good luck on your builds!
Your words are 100% correct! Have you been talking to my friends? It's like you read my mind. Thank you for the very nice comments on my stuff, I really appreciate it.

I love Chevy trucks, and throughout the years, I have owned quite a few. Since I was a kid, I always wanted a 60-66 because I always liked the way they looked. It was one of my "Wish List" trucks, but it took a while before I stumbled across one that was such a good deal that I couldn't pass on it.

Rewind back to around 1991.....The wife and I just bought our home and I was introduced to a neighbor who owned a home-based business building hot rods and racecars. I was working night shift, so I started working for him in the morning doing wiring work and A/C installs. He had a '55 Chevy truck that we was selling, so we made a deal to bypass my paycheck to buy the truck. I was really excited because I had never owned a 55-59. It was going to be a nice little beater/driver, and I got pretty close to getting it as a runner and I had a change of direction. The wife and I were a young couple trying to start a family, remodeling our house, trying to save for the future, and moving up the ladder(s) at our jobs. The truck just sat in the garage, and about every 6 months, I would have a different idea on what I wanted the truck to be. I'd work on it hot and heavy for about 2 months and then I would have to break out the money for parts, and I would stop working on it because my budget was just too tight. ...And so it sat.

The '64 was just too good of a deal to pass on. I had a '79 Chevy to use as a donor, and I planned to use a lot of the extra parts I had accumulated to build it. I work in aerospace, and I just can't put something together half-ass, so my initial idea of a cheap hot rod has spiraled into a project that has cost more than I had planned. I'm building it the way I want, though. It will be a very nice truck, and I'm very very close to getting it on the road.

As soon as the '64 is finished, I have a plan to get the '55 to a point where it will be sold. It will probably be a roller, but I have had a vision for this truck for a long time that I would like to see come to life while it is still my truck. It will be a nice truck that someone will just need to put their own engine/trans in. The money from the '55 will go to a Bucket List car that a friend currently owns and is willing to make me the deal on. I absolutely cannot pass on this deal.

Oh yeah, and then there's the Camaro that needs to be restored.......

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote