View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #18
MigGunslinger

Re: 1970 Chevy C10 LWB to SWB and frame off

Well, Amazon canceled my valve cover order, I guess that they did not have any in stock either. The only place I could find the 42484 in stock was eBay for over $300.00!! I went back to summit and picked up the updated design 4262 these should match well enough.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-4262

I also made some progress on mounting the 96-04 serpentine set up. The bracket that holds the alternator / idler pulley / tensioner is only being held on by 1 bolt in the previous pictures. The heads on my engine do not have the proper mounting provisions so I had to drill a hole.

First I mounted the bracket where it seemed to fit best and used a transfer punch to mark the hole location on the head:

IMG_0610 by meeker4323, on Flickr
IMG_0611 by meeker4323, on Flickr

I then removed the bracket and drilled a 5/16" hole about 1/2" deep. For those of you that have not drilled cast iron heads slow drill speeds and decent pressure seemed to be the ticket.

I then reinstalled the bracket and tapped the hole with a 3/8-16 8" long pulley tap. The bracket ensured that the hole was tapped reasonably straight. I don't have any fancy cutting fluid so I cleaned the tap every so often and used clean motor oil.

IMG_0612 by meeker4323, on Flickr
IMG_0613 by meeker4323, on Flickr

I then test fit using one of the factory studs that came with my setup.

IMG_0615 by meeker4323, on Flickr

I don't have a picture of it all bolted up but everything went well!

While installing the water pump that came with the serpentine setup I discovered another problem. The new water pump does not cover this hole on the passenger side. (See the blue gasket) I have a replacement reverse rotation pump coming which should fix this.

IMG_0616 by meeker4323, on Flickr