View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #75
HUSSEY

Re: "Albert" -- 1949 AD, S10 Chassis

I’d seen this method of attaching the core support in many other builds and I thought it worked out really well. I welded an 11 GA 2x1 in. rectangular tube between the front frame ends. Also, I attached two 11 GA 2x1 in. risers with supports attached to the top of the risers made out of 1/8 in. 2x2 in. angle.

On the bottom of the core support I welded a 3/16 in. 3x2 in. piece of angle with the 3 in. side on the horizontal. The bottom of the core support rests on the feet of the risers. To insulate it I used a couple large diameter rubber washers I found at the hardware store.

The radiator is from summit, P/N SUM-381324 and the fan is a Spal, P/N IX-30100400. The Spal fan was about the thinnest I could find at ~2.0 in.

I like how well the radiator ended up fitting in the core support; it almost has a factory look. If I had gone any lower with my body mounts the radiator would not have been able to be tucked into the core support the way it is, I would have had to further trim the top of the core support.

Some pictures are probably more descriptive…

Below, I trimmed down the channels to fit my 22 in. wide radiator. The bottom of the core support was cut to fit my radiator height, this also allowed for clearance with the steering gear box. There was also a little trimming to clear the radiator cap.

Below shows the 3/16 in. 3x2 in. angle welded in with the 3 in. side on the horizontal.

I installed some weather stripping foam from the hardware store to cushion the radiator. I also split some small vacuum line and put it on the bottom of the radiator and core support sides. The radiator simply sits down onto the lower 3x2 in. angle, I attached a piece of aluminum angle to keep it from sliding out. At the top, I used some small bolts and lock nuts to gently snug it up to the foam weather stripping.

For slitting the hose I found it was easiest to tape it to the bench.

Last edited by HUSSEY; 09-11-2015 at 05:18 PM.
HUSSEY is offline   Reply With Quote