View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 04:00 AM   #133
argonaut

Re: Adopting a Suburban Carryall, The Seahorse

Well last weekend I took Seahorse on her maiden voyage "out of town" to my buddy patenglish's house. Then this weekend I drove over to the Truck Shop on Saturday and compared notes with a guy who works there and owns a GMC burb.

Its has been running very well and staying cool, even in the heat. But the brakes just weren't right. They worked okay but had a really low pedal. And after re-bleeding the master cylinder and lines about ten thousand freakin' times I was getting sick of spilling brake fluid all over the place. I had installed a 1-1/8" bore unit for a corvette (just like the one I put on Big Ugly) but the pedal was always low. I even tried putting another Wilwood 10lb residual pressure valve on the rear line, to no avail.

I finally figured that it had to be my master cylinder; Thought that this truck might need a 1-1/4" bore master cylinder because the smaller bore just might not be moving enough fluid for the big 14 bolt drum brake wheel cylinders. So I picked up a 70's one ton master cylinder and some tubing and fittings (front and rear reservoirs are reversed). Got it all hooked up, bled it thoroughly and voila! Perfect brake pedal feel. Felt so happy that I put the dog in the burb and cruised out from my house in Long Beach. Went down PCH to Newport and Balboa Island and all around beach roads. Got several thumbs up and people walking up to the window at intersections asking about it. This burb seems to attract way more attention than the pickup; Who knew?!

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote