View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #28
mike16

Re: tools to break down split rims

any recommendations for tubes and flaps?

I have made a few discoveries shopping for tubes and flaps,

The diameter of the hole where the valve stem passes through the rim has changed over the years. did anybody know that? In years past the hole diameter was larger and the valve stem for tubless tires and tube tires could fit through the hole.The hole was the same diameter. At some point the industry standard for this changed and now.... the hole diameter is smaller and "designed" to fit valve stems for tubless tire rim. The solution if you are putting tubes in one peice rims is to determine if the hole needs to be bigger and drill it out to the correct diameter for the valve stem diameter for tubes . Go figgure!

Another conundrum I have discovered is that my tube valve stems need to be about 3-4 inches long and bent at a 90 degree angle to extend far enough out to actually be filled with air. Lots and lots of radial tubes out there but with little short valve stems. Very reasonably priced at 13 to 18 dollars each. but when you go for the longer bent valve stem tubes, prices get up around 26-35 dollars a piece.

I have not yet located a radial tire light truck 7.50x16 tube with the bent longer valve stem. The only tire shop in my town is looking for me. I'm going over to the next town where ther are several tire shops to get prices and availability for these tubes and flaps.

Anybody run into this. I shopped online but doing a search once you get to a vendors online store nets some rediculous offerings.

many vendors offer tubes, however incorrect that carry American and Offshore brand names. I'm leaning towards American brand names but that clearly does not guarrentee American made or quality.

What workes for others?

Also shopping tools at NAPA

Any reccomendations? Jack Furrier,Big O, Discount, BF Goodrich, Goodyear Michilin Firestone?
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote