View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 11:58 PM   #364
Devillusion

Re: Project: Crew'd Attitude

...gonna be a long but overdue post. Upside....lots of pics once I am done boring you to death with the details.

So, I finally got a fire lit under my arse and got some work done. Cranked out some serious hours over the past 3 weeks and got her to the point of being able to drive it...not done, just driveable to where it was safe and respectable to start putting some miles on to work out any bugs or issues that may arise before snow fall.

Bear with me as the pics go along....I have some catching up to do.

Dash completely torn down to the bare metal and started over due to me not being happy with the end result previously completed (yes this is why it's taking me so darn long!), and now in "patina" paint waiting for buddy to show up to finalize some details on it with the air brush.

And wahlah...just like that airbrushing details done on dash. I am obviously cutting to the chase on alot of the process but I'm sure you get the idea. Just trying to take some of the long drawn out pain of it all out of the post...hahaaha

Seats are all bolted in one last time, SEM used on them and hoping the black will show through on the cracks to give the worn look I'm after....hoping it will work for me rather than against.

Front of box and tailgate jams done...

Raptor liner in the bed...stuff goes on and looks spectacular in my honest opinion...will it last forever...more than likely not, but time will tell. Not expecting it to be bullet proof by any means. Word to the wise though...expect to use 1.5 kit minimum for a short box. That's what I used and I think that is a bare minimum in my books....Just FYI

Box primary body work completed, Endura etch primer on bare steel spots, UPOL high build primer over that (3 coats), guide coat...and now sits for a while before I will get around to blocking it out to get rid of the heavy scratches.

Rear differential changed AGAIN.....long story but anyway, tried a few different combo's, found out that there are definitely some misguided information out there including the 14 bolt bible of what swaps to what and what measures what...Ended up with what I feel is the best combination of parts/differentials I had laying around and with minimal cost (not including frustration)..
I used a SRW 14FF from a 1995 GM truck, swapped over the outer brake assemblies incuding backing plates etc from a 74 14FF SRW differential. Then had the SRW hubs machined down to accept the dually wheel center (bit smaller) and allow for a larger lip that the SRW hubs do not provide to give the proper "hub centric" center for the wheels. With what I had measured for my after market wheels I was good for clearance all the way down which eventually I was hoping to bag the truck in the future. This gave me a total WMS measurement of 66-5/8" wide total. Extra 2 plus inches per side from a stock dually D70 rear diff.

...and finally...when it all came together after working through the night Saturday till 4:30 am then back up again at 8:00am Sunday to bolt in the seat belts, swap the hood out, put the plates on...and a few other things...took it for it's first drive/show in 5 years or so. Put on 100 miles roughly with minimal issues. Ran like a champ...and was a REALLY good feeling to be able to do so. Put some fire in my step to finish it now. Needed that push at this point for sure...

Anyways...enjoy, and hope to have more progress pics very soon.
1970 Chevelle
1968 Biscayne 2dr post

"...there is no excuse for what I am about to do, but dangit....it's gonna be fun!"
Devillusion is offline   Reply With Quote