View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #14
Ironangel

Re: Rear gear question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72kool View Post
these are some of the best work trucks ever imo. i have done way more with my truck then i could ever do alot of newer model 3/4 tons. Ive been reading up on lockers and alot of people are saying they are worse for snow and ice. so im needing to know now, what can i do, aside from chains, to get better traction when it snows? i already run 500 lbs in the back over the axle but still get one wheel action alot. im not complaining about it, i know what i bought and what it does, but want to do what i can to improve this so i can enjoy my truck more
Theres a big difference between lockers and posi-traction units. I have posi units in both of my 72 C-10's and like you I live where the snow inevitably gets deep. The posi unit will not change your mileage and is smooth through turns in slick conditions. A locker will slide one wheel where a posi will not. Unless I'm drag racing or off roading would I even consider a locker. Once more, the posi is a preferred unit in many off road applications. You have to remember, years ago before every other vehicle on the road was a so called 4X4, farmers and country folk ordered posi's in their all terrain trucks. The newest vehicle in my fleet is a 91 Jeep Cherokee and when in 4H, you still only have two tires locked in, one front, one rear...Mighty hard to beat a Eaton Posi on and off the road...I'll add this as well, I pulled a floating 3:08 out of my work horse C-10 and stuck a new 3:73 Eaton Posi unit in it, 350TB tranny (Heavy Duty) and my mileage only went down from 13mpg to 11mpg respectively...The pulling ability felt like an instant 50 HP...That was the gearing not the posi unit...The cool thing about a posi is, it only engages when one or the other wheel begins to loose traction...My .02 cents ~Ghostrider~
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote