View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
pritch

Phase one complete: It's Alive!

I finally got around to rebuilding the carb on that blue '67 C/20 I picked up a couple months ago. The PO said that while it would not run when I bought it, he assured me that he had it running once and then the carb went bad and it quit. Whatever. When I opened up the carb, I didn't think that there was any way that truck had ran in ages. The thing was so full of dirt and varnish I figured it hadn't ran in 20 years. But I figured for the price of a rebuild kit, I'd just see. The big day finally arrived, and I put the newly rebuilt 4-jet on and started cranking. After a few seconds with nothing, I remembered the choke and pulled it out. Then I remembered that I hadn't hooked it up. A few more minutes under the hood and another crank, and she started right up

I have a massive vacuum leak to deal with where the PVC line comes out of the back of the carb, but other than that, it's happening. All I was really after was to get it to move under it's own power. Phase 2 will be to move under it's own power safely. That may be a little more involved. I have all the fixin's for power brakes, and most for power steering, so I'll start with that, I guess.

This is what I started with:

And today:

I need to find a stovepipe to raise the air cleaner up some to clear the throttle and stuff, and these 4-jets seem a little smaller that the later quadrajets. I need it about 4 1/4" I.D. And a HEI. It still has a points-type dizzy. But at least I can move it around now and get it out of the front yard

Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote