View Single Post
Old 10-01-2015, 10:53 PM   #18
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Talking Re: U Joint Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. My truck does and will have an easy life. I'm way past racing or burning rubber but like to put the best parts on my truck even if they are somewhat overkill. Could you your comment about the poly steady bearing and adding a slip and stub to the rear shaft.
The billet poly mount doesn't allow for any foreward or reward movement of the shaft like the very soft orignal bearing mount. Somethings gotta give when the rear suspension moves up and down the driveshaft needs to get longer and shorter before a solid atachment to the frame. In a one piece shaft the trans yoke is usually where it slips. On every other kind of multiple piece driveshaft on every non IRS has the slip in the rear shaft due to them having a more solid carrier mount.

I have built thousands of driveshafts and have a well equipped shop, this isn't a job I would do at home..... really. Its very easy to swap parts on a driveshaft, doing it properly takes a bit of skill, a little bit of knowledge, a hammer pare of dikes and a 9/16s socket and oh yeah a $50,000 driveshaft balancer.
This particular design of carrier is super sensitive to out of balance situations. Even if you mark everything and put the exact same parts back in the balance will change. Anybody who says anything different has never spent any time behind a driveshaft balancer.

Something that a shop will do that can take them 30 min is check to make sure your shaft is straight within .010" and the carrier stub is within .002" and straighten it if its not.
Attached Images

66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote