View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #122
Clay54

Re: 49 3600, s10 swap, project boogie

joedoh, you have stated that some gauges read backwards and you say it's OK with you. I'm confused. Does this mean the gauges are incorrect and cannot be corrected? I was really hoping this would be a solution to convert the old gauges to digital. Would I be wasting my time in doing this conversion? And by the way, I'm for sure mounting the S10 radiator like you did. Thanks, Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
yeah the 49 is still waiting to get started. luckily the 47 gmc is almost done, after this weekend just need to install the AC/heater core.

when we switched columns the PRNDL, odo, temp and gas gauges went out. I messed around with it today and it turned out to be a short in the column harness. luckily I have a few s10 parts around hahahah

getting the ignition switch electrical tumbler in exactly the right position was a bit of an in and out trick, once the starter engaged and stayed engaged, lucky I knew how to pop the electrical tumbler out quickly. once it worked, I was happy to see all the stuff that didnt work, worked again.

and that meant I could finally set the needles for the original gauges

some gauges read backwards now, but really if you pay attention to the NEEDLE position, most gauges are made to run in the middle for AOK operation, so it doesnt present any REAL problem to me.
the springs keep on settling, the truck gets lower and lower. I need to clearance the rear sheetmetal some more inside and that takes time, so for now I just pulled the blocks

since that would raise the truck 2 inches, I thought it might look silly, so I popped on the red wheels from the 65 which are 3 inches shorter, for a net gain of 1/2 inch raised.

I was happy to see the electric fan working exactly properly, turning on at about 200 degrees and letting the gauge run almost dead center. tomorrow is last run in ark city, it is my HOPE to have the gauges installed tonight and the headliner buttoned up for the 1.5 hour trip. for sale sign in the window, of course!
Clay54 is offline   Reply With Quote