View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #125
Clay54

Re: 49 3600, s10 swap, project boogie

I have heard other guys say they thought by reversing the leads it would solve the direction problem but they either have not done it as yet or have sold the truck. Don't mean to fret about this but I think what you have stated is doable and I am going to try. However, the gauges you have mentioned are "important" the one most important has not been mentioned - FUEL. I really hope it works "E" when you are out and "F" when full. Don't mean to be a horses a**, but this one can not read in the middle all the time. Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
the oil pressure reads from 220-100 instead of 100-220 and the oil pressure reads from 60-0 instead of 0-60, because the s10 gauges read from left to right and those two gauges on the 47 cluster read from right to left.

all that is required to fix it is to print new labels that read left to right. it would be a good idea to also make the scales correct, the s10 temp gauge range is 100-280 with 210 in the middle and the oil pressure is 0-80 with 40 in the middle. for that matter the amperes is actually voltage now so 10-16volts would be the new scale.

I THINK I can reverse the polarity of the stepper and have it read the other direction, I am researching that.

the speedometer will need a new scale as well, 0 is at about 10mph on the 47 gauge. I actually want to try something, moving the stop pins to actual zero and where the s10 top speed stop is. when you plug the gauges in, the speedo does a sweep from stop to stop. I have seen this with throttle position sensors, electronic throttles that use steppers are setting the limit voltages, so at zero the voltage is x and at full throttle the limit is x+x1. then the computer sets the ranges between the two set points. I think with the stop points in the right place, it is perfectly possible to have the original speedometer read correctly. I will probably do this on the 49.

I probably wont do a darn thing about the backward gauges on the 47 and here is why: modern vehicle gauges are designed to run in the middle, so as long as mine are in the middle I will know everything is ok. because of this tendency I have also never watched my gauges move up from cold to hot, and never really paid attention to the exact amount of oil pressure, as long as it was over 1/4 at idle I was ok. The 49, the gauges are completely unreadable so I will make new labels for it.

you can make new labels really easily with a scanner, ms paint, and photo printer with satin paper. the labels are not transparent, light doesnt shine through them rather around the edges. dont fret! its as hard as you make it and it looks super original.

on the project track, I ordered some wheel vintiques and coker whitewalls. thewheelsmith wants NINETY NINE DOLLARS EACH for GMC stamped caps that fit the wheel vintiques so I ordered a set of blank caps for $60 (the set!) and will run to hobby lobby for some vinyl sticker material and transfer paper.
Clay54 is offline   Reply With Quote