Thread: POR-15 Opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #11
brimc

Re: POR-15 Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I have done 2 frames with it using a brush and it dried as smooth as glass. No brush marks what so ever.

It also goes farther if you brush it. I did my frame with less than a quart. (one coat) After the fact, I recommend 2 coats.

I think this is a good product but I think the jury is still out on the longevity. One of my questions is whether rust will start creeping under it around the bolt holes and areas where you can't get full coverage with it.

I have to spend a little time here on my observations of the POR15 product. First off if you have never used it and you are thinking about it I can't stress enough to read ALL of the instructions, TWICE. Being old school I have to learn all lessons the hard way. Two important points, #1- Wear some "good" rubber or latex gloves. (don't wear the ones you got from your buddy over at the ambulance barn, or that cute nurse at the hospital, they aren't heavy enough) If you don't wear gloves when you apply it you can wear them three weeks later when you go to Uncle Harry's funeral, to cover the POR15 that's STILL on your hands. #2- If your bestest buddy Paul, (you know the one that's always pulling your leg about something) tells you to put a piece of Saran Wrap between the lid and the can after you have used some out of it don't say "yeah, right". Do it! Otherwise you'll end up having to cut the center out of the lid with tin snips and pour what's left in the can into a jar. If there is any paint residue around the lip of the can and it sets a week or two you will NOT be able to get the lid off of the can, period! Oh, and another thing, if you wear coveralls to protect your best pair of pants and you drip the paint onto the coveralls they will now be your second best pair of pants. You will not be able to wipe the drip off before it soaks through to your good pants.

I almost forgot.... If you get it on any threads that you have to get a nut or bolt on/off of plan on using a tap, die, or thread chaser to clean the threads up first.

Oh, and still one more thing, be sure and put two coats on it if you are not going to top coat it.

Hope this helps.....

LockDoc

What he said X2
It is thin. You need two coats minimum. It is much more work and time consuming but worth it in the end IMO.

1986 Chevrolet K20 Silverado 12 Valve CUMMINS P Pumped Intercooled/Getrag360/Divorced NP205/10B/14BFF Detroit Locker - DD Canadian Winter Beater.

My Chevrolet CUMMINS Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=585509
brimc is offline   Reply With Quote