View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #16
ratedrookie

Re: Project Modernizing a Squarebody Suburban Audio System

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal30_sniper View Post
I've used the Kenwoods before, and wasn't terribly impressed. They give good bass, but the clarity and mids just weren't there compared to the Infinitys that I listened to. I have Pioneers in my GTA, and they're better than the Kenwoods. In fact, I like them a lot, I'm just looking for top notch sound on this deal to help fill up such a large cabin.
What is your budget? Do you consider yourself an audiophile and are you very particular about your music playback? I ask because top notch sound is impossible to generalize or quantify since sound is so subjective.

That's where I would have started. Given the effort you have put into sound deadening, I would assume you put some value into such things. Given this assumption, I would scrap the 3.5's and auxiliary tweeters altogether. Get yourself some good 6.5" components, maybe even some 3-way comps with mid-range, mid-bass, and tweeters. Also, consider upgrading from the Pioneer DEH-P4400. Get something with a better digital-to-analog converter. I'm not familiar with these Suburbans so where are the 6x9's mounted? Are they mounted in the second row or all the way to the rear of the vehicle?

Again, if you answered "yes" to the audiophile question, then consider going with an active crossover network. You want to power each speaker with a dedicated channel of clean amplification and either use amps with capable built-in crossovers or get yourself an external crossover to control the frequencies to each range. Of course you don't have to do this as you can always use the passive crossovers, but you'll have less flexibility and adjustability if you are very particular.

Regardless of what you decide to do with your mids and highs, you should definitely add a subwoofer if you want to cover a more complete range of frequencies and provide your music with the bottom end kick you'll be missing otherwise. A single subwoofer in the right ported enclosure will do wonders.
ratedrookie is offline   Reply With Quote