View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #1027
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.
Re: My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Oh Man that blows,,,, Hope its an easy fix.
You got it shut down in time before any major damage happened?!!???
Hoping for the best.
Thanks Greg.
I don't know if, or how much damage was done.
I did some research, and it seems that the LT1's had a problem with the Billet roller cams eating up the oil pump drive gears (distributor gear in a normal small block) if a melonized (heat-treated) gear was not used.
I didn't put the motor together, so I am guessing that the wrong type gear was used...
GM performance states in their description for this gear as "must be used with most late model crate engines or with billet roller cams, or serious damage will occur"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
That's a drag man but it may be a blessing in disguise too. Get that motor pulled and the truck put away, then start eyeballing your winter project! Is there anything in that department that you wish you had done differently anyways?
Maybe.....Nitrous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trsmotrhed View Post
That sucks. Keep us updated on what's going on.
I will definitely keep everyone posted on the outcome, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
sorry man, but it may not be too bad. chevys are tough and lifter are easy to replace. i know you'll get it figured out, at least you got to cruise a bunch this season and like jlsanborn said, might be a good time to upgrade in the horsepower department.
Yeah Clem, got almost 1392 good miles out of her on a totally comfortable, and awesome looking seat, and every one except the last was a total blast!!!
Maybe nitrous?...Or did I say that already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcardfan View Post
Sorry to hear. Like the guys said maybe it's not that bad.
Thanks, I hope that it isn't as bad as I expect, but we all know how that goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Sorry to hear the news. Hope it gets worked out soon.
Not as sorry as me!
Loaded her on the trailer tonight for a trip to the shop in order to start disassembly....Gosh I hate that word!

Thanks guys, for all of the encouragement!
I really was kinda hoping that this winter would be good break from a great project. Not sure yet how I will address this bump in the road based on the complexity once that I get it apart.
Hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst!!!
I had to post a pic of my baby leaving on the trailer tonight....This wasn't exactly how I pictured seeing it go down the road for the first time....

Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote