View Single Post
Old 10-18-2015, 08:56 PM   #1032
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.
Re: My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic77 View Post
Sucks that you're having trouble, but I would look very hard at the oil galley plugs behind the timing chain. I would suggest tapping them for 3/8" pipe plugs anyway while you have it apart....easy to do, just make sure you don't go too deep.

Of course now is the time to put a bigger cam, more compression, etc....you can never have too much horsepower
Ha-Ha-Ha!
Good call on the oil galley plug, I was only joking about where it may have come from.
I was gonna tap them for plugs, but didn't want to introduce any steel chips into the mix... And when I saw how whoever installed these plugs executed the task, I decided to just replace them correctly.... They had driven them in with something less than 1/4" in diameter which dented the center, thus reducing the diameter for the press fit. Not only that, they never thought to remove the factory peening that originally retained them before installing the new ones.
For removal of the old plugs I drilled a .062 hole in the center, and attempted to screw in a sheet-metal screw to pull it out with. But before having the screw inserted securely, the plugs spun in their bore without effort & I pulled the remaining 2 plugs out by hand. You could see score marks on the diameter where it had been driven in over the factory peens, so they had to have been leaking.

This thing already has a really healthy cam & is faster than I expected. I haven't even had a chance to start working on adding the nitrous yet!!!
I just want to store this thing in one piece before the snow!
Thanks for chiming-in, I appreciate the comments, and I will post pics on the progress soon.
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote