View Single Post
Old 10-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #70
Isaiah92260

Re: 60-66 gauge cluster restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
It is possible that the scratches you are referring to penetrate all they way through the lens. This is a common problem on a 50+ year old piece of plastic. It is not actually a scratch at all but a result of old brittle plastic.

Here is what I would suggest. Use 800 grit wet sand paper with water and a sanding block and go over the entire surface of the lens. Be mindful of where the scratches are. If you notice the scratches seem to be getting smaller, continue with 800 grit until the scratch(s) is completely removed. Then progress up to 1500 and then 2000 grit removing the sanding scratches from the previous grit.

Then use a good quality rubbing compound followed by Mothers mag wheel polish to bring out the luster.

If your scratches penetrate all the way through the plastic the only solution is to replace the lens. They are very difficult to find for a 60-63 pick up in restorable condition.

Hope this helps. I can provide the restoration of the lens for you for $50.00 plus shipping both ways if you have a lens that is worthy of it.

Thank you,
Thomas
Thank you very much, I'll consider sending it off to you more, I have a very good lense in my opinion, does that price also include new decals on the lense as well?
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote