View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 12:44 AM   #116
66Submarine

Re: Junkyard C30 stepside work truck "build"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa1 View Post
sounds nice and strong. any hiccups after the "fix"?
Hasn't done anything totally insane like that since. The carb needed/needs some tuning, but no crazy stuff.

General update copy/pasted from another thread FWIW:

It's the 307 out of my '68 Impala with 98,000 on it. I took it apart, cleaned it up, honed it, replaced all the bearings, new brass freeze plugs, moly rings, steel shim head gaskets for correct quench distance, double roller timing chain (to replace the BS nylon one with the nylon all shucked off), new oil pump, quickly smoothed the heads up a little with a die grinder (made me feel better?), and used a mild Elgin E860SM GM blueprint HO 305 cam (202/207@.050, 114LSA, .404/.414).

The Holley 600 and Performer RPM intake were already on it when I got the car, and some short GM chrome valve covers I had and a couple cans of Duplicolor DE1607 made it look less hideous. I used a HEI I had with some light advance springs and ended up with 20º inital for 36º total + 14º from an "AR-12" vacuum advance can.

It's just a very mild and inexpensive "build" that runs nice and should last a long time. It makes 16.5" of vacuum at idle and I haven't noticed any detonation on 87 octane.

The exhaust is some old 1.5" truck headers and dual 2.5" pipes (eventual BBC power?) kicked out in front of the rear tires with Summit turbo mufflers. So far no one has said it's too quiet...

It also did this the other day warming up:

Apparently the factory carb jetting was way too lean (it hesitated pretty badly and the plugs looked like they were never ran in anything). Swapping the 65's out for some 68's yesterday made it run much better (still need to check what the WOT jetting is like). I also swapped the orange accelerator pump cam and 31 nozzle out for the smaller white cam and a 25 nozzle.