View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 01:18 AM   #184
84chevyguyid

Re: 86 chevy crew cab 12 valve swap

Had a chance to work on the pickup the last few nights. I remodeled the intercooler line that was hitting on the master cylinder so I can cross that issue off the list.
I got a few pieces of hose in the other day so I could start building the lower radiator lines from the radiator to the trans cooler then back to the engine. It took some head scratching but in the end everything is fitting together quite well and I am excited about that! I spent some time browsing the Gates hose catalog and found several 2" molded hoses that I could make work and ordered them and a mandrel bent 2 inch "j" tube. I cut the long leg with a 45 degree elbow on it and that fit down between the frame and radiator and came out pointing right at the 90 degree hose that goes in the top of the trans cooler. The piece that was left was the perfect shape to weld on the upper end of the straight pipe and it loops around the coolant bottle and points right at the lower radiator outlet. A 4 inch piece of one of the hoses I bought connected everything nicely. On the end of the 45 degree piece, I need to weld about 8 inches of straight pipe to it and it will connect to the elbow that goes into the cooler. I was stressing about how to make that pipe up so it would fit around everything and come out in the right place and I cant believe how it all came together! Coming out of the trans cooler going to the water inlet on the engine, I was able to use the dodge lower hose and cut a few inches off the end off it that hooked to the engine and with the few curves it has it came out from under the frame between the spring and frame and pointed straight up towards the water inlet on the motor. To finish the connection to the motor I used a molded 90 hose that came out and down in just the right place and I will make a splice there to hook them up. Its some interesting plumbing but not too much different than the way the cooler was plumbed into the school bus so hopefully it will work ok...
I had to do some "trimming" on the inner fender to clear the turbo to cooler line so the it would fit in place. Its kinda rusty so now that I know what I need to make the inner fender fit I can modify a non rusted one and it should work pretty good. I figured out where and how to mount the Webasto in the bottom of the fender so an air cleaner assembly will fit above it.
Attached Images

Last edited by 84chevyguyid; 10-22-2015 at 01:29 AM.
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote