View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #21
ray_mcavoy

Re: Ammeter not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
Update: I have replaced the underhood harness, underdash harness, and gauge cluster (rebuilt from TBONE1964), and I still have the problem. The gauge works, just in reverse. Shows discharge when it is actually charging. I know the charging system is working, I checked voltage at the battery and the alternator to confirm this. Any other suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
When I turn the lights on with the key off, it goes toward D. How would the terminals 1 and 12 get reversed? The only thing I disconnected was the plug from the cluster. Can the plug go in two different ways? I thought it was made to only fit one way.
Well, that seems to rule out the meter being wired backwards. As VetteVet said, being backwards would cause it to read toward C with the key off and lights on.

Terminals 1 & 12 being reversed is something that could accidentally happen when re-pinning a warning light harness to work with gauges. But with new harnesses they should be wired correctly. And the cluster plug only fits one way ... forcing it in the wrong way would cause problems with more than just the ammeter.

The ammeter showing discharge (D) both with & without the engine running seems to indicate a problem with the charging system. I know you said you checked the voltage at the battery & alternator, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to double check and make sure the battery is indeed charging.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote