View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #9
HULK64

Re: Project Eugene: 1949 5 window

Well, I made some progress- not a ton, but enough to merit a post at least...

Shop has heat, insulation, and a big screen TV now.

First truck focused project was rebuilding the bedsides. I tried patching only the holes- and I didn't quite go slow enough (And forgot to change to .023 wire, and didn't move frequently enough, and was trying to go fast, etc.) and warped the snot out of the first one. Ouch.

At first I super pissed, but I regrouped and cut the spot welds on the stake pockets and chopped the top angle and rolled edge off length wise and bought a 4x8 sheet of 16 gauge to start over on the bottoms with right sized wire, and a more patient mindset. I also cut them down from 3600 length to 3100 length- so I relocated the stake pockets at the same time.

Much less warped> LOL

Honestly, the best part was getting my son involved. Here, he didn't want to go put his boots on so this was his solution to no sparks in his socks. Loving getting his hands dirty.

Finished product. The good news is that all the cool patina on the top rail is still under there and this primer is close to the stock color, so when I run through the new paint it will still come through as patina, but all the metal will be solid.

I test fit the doors and the gaps are pretty good, so I got to bracing the cab last weekend so I could roll it on its back and start chopping out the rot.

So now that it's braced I started cutting out the yuck. Passenger side rocker is first. After putting it in and taking it out to trim about 265 times, it's pretty close to being ready to get welded in.

The other good news is I found some really solid rear fenders and a long bed S10 frame that I have being held for the winter until I am ready for it in the spring. So I am stoked to have most of the parts located (And paid for) for phase one.

Which brings me to my first question: How do I get this bracket out nicely? I have a new hinge pocket panel- but I need this bracket to bolt the hinge to and it is welded in there in 7-8 spots. Do I just cut them all out? Or can I get a replacement for this somewhere? Everything around it was junk and rotten so I just cut the whole thing out to work on. Figured I would ask before I start hacking.

Thanks for the help fellas!

Last edited by HULK64; 11-03-2015 at 09:51 PM.
HULK64 is offline   Reply With Quote