View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #166
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmchevy1979 View Post
I like the build so far keep up the good work. Out of curiosity what was your reason for sticking with drums in the rear is it for the parking brake or is it just a preference I plan to run a driveline break on my 74 k5 when i get to that point but I haven't fully decided to run disc yet and I'm not sure If it will require more or less trimming than the front to clear my 15x10 rims
Rob’s reasons for keeping drums might be different than mine. Rob knows if he showed up at my place with a box full of disk brake swap parts I would take a ballpeen hammer to each one of his finger nails. My reason for not partaking in any rear disk swaps is because I feel they are lame. I don’t buy into the fad where sheaple toss drums to install aftermarket paper thin brackets to mount junk El Dorado/Tornado calipers on the rear of a full size truck. Those calipers weren’t worth the poop on the cars they originally came on. Even the kits that use front ¾ ton calipers on the rear I don’t feel are sufficient. The only rear disk brake swap I would ever consider would be to swap in a complete rear disk brake axle from a late model GM HD truck that was properly engineered for disk brakes. I find it almost hilarious most built threads by non-techical people by trade almost always include rear disk swaps and crossover steering. You will find neither on anything I build for what we use our 4x4's for. Our builds are for durability, not to buy every possible aftermarket bolt on thing available.

Now, if you really want to upgrade the brakes on an older GM truck my suggestion is to start by replacing the vacuum booster with hydroboost. That is an upgrade…..aftermarket rear disks is not an upgrade in my opinion.

My idea of upgrading rear drum brakes is by removing 11" drums to install BIGGER 13" drums . My ’78 K10 that has a camper and weighs 8,000 lbs has 13” rear drums and hydroboost and feels much more confident in stopping power than my Silverado with disks.

I run 13” drums on my Suburban too…..they STOP!!

Pee on aftermarket rear disk kits
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote