View Single Post
Old 11-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #7
1978sierra

Re: The 1978 Sierra Build - I NEED YOUR HELP

Hey Everyone, here is a small essay about my progress thus far!

Thanks for all the help and advice so far. My journey to have an amazing Daily really got underway yesterday; albeit with a few too many beers with friends in my parkade.

After pulling up the rubber floor and taking a look at the jute-like material a few things were apparent. Firstly, a small amount of water was coming in through the fire wall on the drivers side and a large amount was somehow only on the floor of the passengers side. Secondly, wet jute-like flooring under a rubber mat most likely never dries, is disgusting, and when disintegrating into moldy sludge on your hands when you're hungover is gag inducing.

Once we got the sludge out I cleaned up any surface rust that was present- surprise surprise - there was a new plate welded on the passengers floor. As it is a single ply plate with some sort of silicone over the welds we deduced that it was most likely sweating some water in. I scraped the silicone and then re-sealed the entire plate a few times; not the prettiest but I think it'll be effective.

Then I bucket tested the truck, starting at the cowl drain and inner fenders and working my way up. I noticed some old silicone material in the drain on the drivers side where the weld for the firewall is. Sure enough water was coming down the firewall and through the red gasket around the brake line. New silicone on the drain and today no more leak on the drivers side

The passengers side is much more complicated. After a bunch of testing, and a few more beers, we noticed that the water coming off the silver rain deflector above the passenger door was shooting straight into the door seam at the roof weld, further inspection revealed some sort of filler in the doorjam at that location, the water appeared to pool on the door seal, get behind it, travel down to the rocker, then leech out to the floor- At least I found my problem. We 'adjusted' (see- bent) the deflector out by a few mm's and that seemed to direct the majority of the water back towards the hood, one step in the right direction, then I got out my knife, removed the filler in the door and put some new stuff in there. Back out today to bucket test and the water isn't running down to the foor..... because, well, its just dropping straight in. Just did a bit of reshaping.

I think I need new door seals as the ones on there are falling off, so I'll pick some up tomorrow. Also, I am wondering if anyone has the upper door seals installed and if you think that will help? It doesn't look like they were ever there. Lastly, it takes a really good slam to close the doors so I'm guessing they're a little out- anyone have experience with this.

Luckily the kick plates and the seals there looked great, theres no rust on my rockers and I just seem to have this one leak now - and its visible. I purchased some double sided heat shield as well, so that if (see- when) it leaks again I, hopefully, wont vomit.

Regarding the stereo - I removed the CB- not sure if it was stock but it looks pretty stock, it was on a bracket under the console but it also had an Audiovox sound expander connected to it. It was easy to take out, with the power and connections just unclipping in the dash, there is a separate antenna wire that runs out to the passengers side of the hood where it was neatly placed so I can reinstall an antenna after paint. I will most likely wire it back in when I do the stereo. I am thinking about a retrosound - does anyone have experience with it? My next step is to wire the speakers directly to the tape deck to see if I can get some temporary tunes working.

I have some crappy pictures included of the passengers door problem.

Again, thank you for all your help so far (and I need it), once I sort this it's on to new door panels and a dash cover, then hopefully paint.

The pics show :

-the gross Jute
-the old filler (where the water was coming in)
-the new filler
-where the water leeches over from (on to some shop towels)
-where the water is falling directly onto now (dash)

Cheers,
Attached Images

1978sierra is offline   Reply With Quote