View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #1573
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Enjoying every minute of living vicariously through these updates...

Cheers Mate!!!

Thanks Don.

As the road behind us allowed Oklahoma City to fade away in the rear view mirror we knew that the memories would not fade.

Ahead of us Route 66 stretched out toward Tulsa city with many small shops, garage sales we would randomly stop at, and the knowledge that we were doing stuff most people only dream about. All of this laid ahead of us.

One of our first stops had to be at a roadside service station which boasted that it had the largest collection of sodas in the world.

We meandered along the way as Kieth was working, so we were happy not to pressurise him to leave work till it was time.

At one point we found a Harley Davidson museum along the roadside in Miami, Oklahoma.

Lovely stuff, and the owner was so nice to chat to, informed and interested.

I managed to buy a smoking pipe for Nicola's collection and a small ornament

Cool Evil Knievel Pinball machine.

Stuff that caught my eye.

Loved this little Snow bike.

Eventually we got to Tulsa and the first item on the agenda, that had been discussed a year ago with Kieth, was to go out for a decent long ride in one of his new Kenworth trucks.
Wall to wall leather in the cab and sleeping/living compartment.

It was rather special running some miles down the motorway. Obvious that Kieth has been involved in these 18 wheelers and other heavy machinery for most of his life.

Just about to go out, less than 10 minutes after we got there.

This is the spec sheet of the truck.

Kieth also offered me this truck to buy, it comes with a load of spares including a new front clip, motor and some seriously nice Cragars with tyres.

In the end I had to be sensible as I have a truck to rebuild at home.

He also gave Martin a complete front end and grille mounting bracket, as well as offering him a complete grille, which he sadly declined.

He had also offered me a full set of long wheel base chrome trim, which I passed on to Martin, but ultimately the cost of shipping and current logistics meant he had to decline. Did I mention random generosity and kindness before?

After the truck ride and some more drooling around the yard and in the spares shop, you know how it is, always looking for that elusive part that will make your truck that bit better, we went across town to see some of Kieths other treasures and the blue truck he has for sale.
Followed by a rather special dinner and a few beers at Brothers Hooligan restaurant.

From the storage space we went via Chad64Chevy's place to check out his amazing truck build, and to drop of a Cross of St George flag for his garage.

Chad had completely randomly, and unasked offered Martin a pair of bumper irons when he had asked Martin what he still needed.

I have mentioned about people just being to kind and generous, Chad is one of them.

We must have spent an hour taking in all the trick mods he was doing, plus all the joints he had welded up.

Once we said our good byes to him and his family, we went to dinner.

I thought I would post up a few photos of Kieths daily driver GMC on air ride.

After dinner we drove to Kieths home, which was filled with much spectacular stuff, and being a motorcyclist and small time hooligan, I could relate to his riding adventures and the stories of him getting pulled over by police in various places over time when riding.

We also got to see his gun safe open and touch some of the weapons he owns and built himself.

Eventually we went to bed quite late, and like a good host he dropped off choc chip,cookies his wife had brought home.

Another great day.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote