View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #12
76C10Stepside

Re: '89 S10 4.3 erratic idle speed

Update:

I ended up rebuilding the TBI, then one of the injectors failed and leaked a ton of gas into the crankcase, and the Throttle Position Sensor died (from gas getting on it?). Replaced the bad injector and installed new gaskets again. It ran well for awhile, but the high idle on cold starts continued (some say this is "normal", but I don't see why).

Then 2 months ago, it started running really rough on the way to see my GF. After I parked and got back in to move the truck, it would not crank. It's been sitting since then. The ignition switch and neutral safety switch both tested good, and had power to the crank fuse. NO trouble codes in the ECM. Since it had a NEW starter from last summer, I did not just want to replace the starter. Towed it to a new shop I've been wanted to try out, and they said the started shorted out. Had them install a new starter (too damn cold out).

It's still running rough at idle and at low speeds, seems to smooth out around 35MPH, but have only driven it a few miles on the street so far. Also, the Temp Guage stopped working this summer too. SO...

Back to my original question! Does this truck have a Mass-Airflow Sensor OR a MAP sensor? Whichever one it has, if it's bad, shouldn't I get a trouble code? When the MAS went bad on my '87 Buick, it had the same symptoms and tripped two trouble codes, first code said bad MAS, replaced the MAS and that fixed it. TIA
76C10Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote