View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #20
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

Oh,oh, I'm back on the first page again. I was holding off for about another week while gathering parts for this winter's upgrades.

First, Overmyhead55, yes, an eastbound trip is definitely gonna have to happen next spring. With this winter's upgrades, the visit will be more pleasant visually.

garmar, thanks very much, even after I've been driving it I am still coming up with additions to the truck. I like your term "interesting", to describe the homemade pieces.

Here's where I'm at.... I totally pleased with many items, paint, interior, bed, wheels, suspension, ect.

There are two areas I do want to upgrade, then I think I'm done. First, with the large diameter tires I want to get a lower first gear. The Turbo 350 will get a 2.75 first gear which numerically should have me close to 4.10 rear ratio when done.

The engine is going to undergo changes also. I set this truck up to use Nitrous, surprise to me, Hagerty will no longer cover vehicles with Nitrous. Hmmmm, change in plans.

They will however cover vehicles with turbos or Superchargers. With these choices and I want killer torque, a box from Holley should be on my door step tomorrow with my new Supercharger.

After that comes a set of aluminum heads with larger chambers to help flow and lower compression ratio. Then pistons and camshaft.

I've never stepped into the world of boosting so this will be a new and exciting avenue for me to travel down. I've done a ton of reading on timing, comp. ratios, carb altering, ect. I'm looking forward to the new challenges and especially the first test drive.

Yes, it's a big step, but it is the last and biggest step I can make, after that I won't think "what else I can do" I will look and say "this truck is done".

Ha,ha, we know that won't happen, but at least I've eliminated what else I can do.

Once I get parts and pieces sorted out I'll get some pics posted.