Thread: running hot
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #21
dave`12

Re: running hot

First, I have taken radiator caps off of hot engines, and can do it safely. I hate to see an argument about this, but I do know that you have to be careful with advice. A shop teacher once told me a story about when he told someone that if you could turn the pulley on an alternator, the belt was too loose. Some fool tried it with the engine running and ended up with a mangled hand - so you have to be careful.

Anyway,

Thanx for all the replies. To address some of the points:

1. the radiator cap is new 16psi.
2. the coolant is new, 50-50 with distilled water
3. I guess a cheap mechanical temp gauge is not a bad idea, not sure how or where to hook it up? I really do think the engine is getting too hot, after years of tinkering on cars, I just think it is.
4. suprized on the timing advice. I looked it up, and I'm pretty sure it said 0 is the required timing. I did the timing with the vacuum to the distributer plugged. The vacuum is the only vacuum port on the engine, and it comes from the base of the carb. I will retime it.
5. @ swamp rat: I'm gonna reinstall the thermostat. I tend to agree that the alternator is most likely the sound I'm hearing. Bummer, one more thing to replace.

6. as far as the shroud, I have none, just a little thing on the very top to keep you from touching the fan. The fan appears stock (I have no idea) non-clutch, non-flex. It has a spacer and is about 4 inches from the radiator. I have what appears to be a 2 core radiator.

Should I get a shroud? Do you gentlemen think my fan is sufficient?

thanks again.

dave