View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #104
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

Re: 1988 R30 Crew Soon to be Dropped

Progress just doesn't always seem like progress. I drew out some measurements and cut lines to Z the front end and decided to throw the front end together to do some more measurements and things weren't looking good.

First off once the wheels were on the upper ball-joints were binding well before the front crossmember hit the floor.

Which is a symptom of the tires being too tall more then than anything else as the bag pocket is almost too collapsed to fit the bag.

Tire is around 30.5" tall. PB recommends 29" so this wasn't surprising.

Pocket had about 2" of clearance at the narrow most area.

Which led me to slapping the bag in and see what happens. Not quite what I was expecting after reading enough DM threads but I guess you get what you get. This was with an SS8, PB sells the D2600 with his members.

The bag mounts are not actually lined up which I find strange. The upper bag mount holes are back more than an inch and outboard even more from the lower mount hole and it doesn't align as the arm cycles either.

Here is the Crossmember now.

And the frame.

I slapped a fender on as well so see how that was sitting.

Another area that could benefit from from a smaller tire is firewall clearance while turning.

At full lock I had to raise the crossmember 8" off the ground to clear.

The plan now is to wait for the 265/35 to replace the front 265/40 tires and borrow some 2600 bags from a friend for mock-up. If everything is how it should be and the member gets back on the ground then I will Z the frame and plan to tub the firewall for tire clearance while turning low.