View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #14
leftybass209

Re: Should I just go HEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave`12 View Post
Another thing, my only vaccum port is from the carb to the dizzy. I hooked it up to a vacuum gauge and get 0 at idle. I can rev it some and get 15 pretty without going too high. This seems wrong, shouldn't I get some idle vacuum?

Hard to start, even warm, but seems to idle ok once running.

One other thing, compression test all just over 120, #5 is 90. same reading wet (with oil). Hoping that is livable.

advice appreciated.
Compression tests should ideally be run with the engine warm, as that is when the rings are sealing the best. If you have that much difference, then you have a leak in that cylinder. Whenever you pull a vacuum line, make sure you plug whatever you pulled it from. In this case, plug the vacuum advance if you used that source. However, ported vacuum won't give you a good reading if you're trying to tune that carburetor, it really needs to be done with full manifold vacuum. Look over your instructions to find the full manifold vacuum source on that carb is so equipped with one.

About your vacuum. It could be some type of intake leak, OR, it could be that you're connecting to a ported vacuum source, in which there won't be any vacuum until you increase RPM, just as your claiming happens.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote