View Single Post
Old 12-06-2015, 01:45 AM   #44
StingRay

Re: Late model seat swaps,Pleasse school me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
I'm not calling anyone out but I build truck wrecks and have done a couple hundred or more of the later style with the belts in the seats[talking 99-07 style seats] and out of all the impacts not one had the seat pull through the floor however I have junked some extreme hard hit stuff that the cab bolts did. I think 1 1/2 in square tube is excessive. I'd say 1/4 inch flat plate would suffice in any instance but then again it is a personal thing. I the first one to consider how safely built something is and would not argue this just for arguments sake. Of course it never hurts to over build anything. the trucks with the seats in question don't have square tube in them but the metal is a little thicker than the floors of our body style.
The issue isn't it pulling out of the floor of the truck it came from.
Damn well better not. It had to pass tests to make sure it doesn't. The issue is the floor of a 67-72 not being designed for it in the first place. The whole floor. No consideration was ever given to dealing with those kinds of loads when the truck was designed. It definitely was when the modern truck was designed. Read that a 69-72 bucket truck had factory floor reinforcements. You can't bolt a bucket into a 67-72 safely without doing at least that much. Unless you've put modern integrated belt seats in a 67-72 and destructive tested it you have no clue what the result will be. I've been through enough destructive tests to not bet anybodies life on it. After 18 years of never having my work fail a test I can genuinely say I would would add significant reinforcement to a floor if integrated belt seats were to be used. There are a lot of great seat options other than those and proven factory belt locations are supplied. Why would you do anything else?

Only one possibility is the seat coming loose. If the floor collapses beneath the front of the seat you eat the column and the dash. You are just as dead. Tubing would be to guarantee that the floor maintains its shape and the seat maintains its relationship to to the things in the cab that you don't want to impact. There are a lot of ways for an installation to fail.

Last edited by StingRay; 12-06-2015 at 01:56 AM.
StingRay is offline   Reply With Quote