Thread: My 54 s10 build
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
Cuttin up

Re: My 54 s10 build

Now on to the powertrain. Like all of us, you tend to end up with a few spare parts over the years. I decided to re purpose this engine and trans for the truck. The engine is a 400 sbc thats been popped out to a 406 with aluminum heads, forged internals, and a fairly healthy cam. The trans is a th400 with a 2500 stall and shift kit. That setup was in my 84 Olds Cutlass Supreme until i got a wild hair and decided it needed an LS1 and 6 speed. The 400 ran strong (12.20's at 110) but I wanted the car to be more of a road trip type of ride and do duty as an alternate daily. It does both very well.

That said, the truck should haul with this combo in it being as the Cut comes in at 3210 lbs and I doubt the truck will approach the 3000 lb mark. I took the engine mounts and swapped the ends, frame mounts on the engine and engine side on the frame, and it worked great. I've seen that done throughout threads here and it works perfect. I just had to drill one hole. The trans crossmember is from jegs and its for a th400 in an s10 v8 swap. I just took the member and flipped it around, made couple of mounts and it fits right in the space just behind where the boxed part of the frame stops.
Attached Images