View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #267
SCOTI

Re: My 89 CC Dually: Double Wide

Guess I'll update while here.

The 90 is still idle. Turns out what I felt was correct.... the guy didn't have insurance. Seems based on the dates of the expired paperwork I did see was they insure the car for the brief period required for registration purposes & then drive around w/o it the remainder of the year (active end of March to beginning of July 2014; active end of March to begining of July '15). I see a pattern there.

So my buddy @ the collision shop has a connection & is looking to see if we can get some sheetmetal for as cheap as possible. Going to need a bumper, brackets, valance, air deflector, fender, hood, grille, inner fender, fan shroud, batt tray, headlight, & several of the wiring connections. Looks like the condensor & its tubes might be salvagable.

The dually has left me on the side of the road twice now (conveniently in the rain each time). Lost the water pump pulley studs on Thanksgiving Day (too short so they came loose despite use of Lock-Tite) & now the pulley on the alt. The alt was a 1-wire unit I got from Summit. I had it rebuilt by a local place so it was like OE allowing easy replacement in the event of failure. I guess they tightened the pulley too much & compromised the threads (they're stripped). I got an Oreillys/rebuilt unit in there but now have a serious mystery squeal (doesn't appear to be from the new alt).

This alt failure happened after leaving the shop Sat afternoon where I started the carrier bearing mod process. I'm going to cut out the center of the x-member, fab a new/removeable center plate, & flip the support bearing 180°. This should be much closer to optimum & allow me to shim it up in my attempt to minimize the vibrations. The rubber support bearing has definitely exceeded its service life as well as the u-joints.

So.... gotta determine the accessory squeal (going to pop on a fresh serp belt & idler pulley today & then start making a new center section for the carrier bearing. Then I'll get the d-shafts rebuilt & balanced.

I really need my 90. It sucks to not be able to have the dually down for an extended period to properly sort through these things. I do not like being in fear every time I drive it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote