View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #85
diceman50

Re: Supercharger for my Apache

I hope to start the engine swap on my 58 Apache soon so I recorded some performance runs with a GTECH Pro. This will give me something to compare after the engine swap and supercharger installation. I made several 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile runs and averaged them. As it turns out the 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times were almost the same.

0 to 60 avg = 21.88 seconds
1/4 mile avg = 22.10 @ 63.3 MPH

Since I know the weight of the truck (4160 lbs.) I used an online horsepower calculator to estimate the rear wheel horsepower. Using the trap speed method it came out to 82.3 horsepower. Using the elapsed time method it was 76.2 horsepower for an average of 79.25.

Then I used another online calculator for rear wheel to flywheel horsepower which came out at 101 horsepower. My service manual says the brake horsepower is 145. I know that manufacturers used gross instead of net numbers in 1958, but that seems like a lot of difference to me. However, since my power numbers are all calculated instead of measured it is really hard to compare them. Besides it really doesn't matter since I just wanted something to compare later.

I wish I had thought about doing this before I put the fuel injection and dual exhaust on the truck. From a seat of the pants perspective I know the truck runs much better than it did with the stock induction and exhaust, so it must have been really anemic before. When I bought the truck the drivetrain appeared to be all original so I assume all the internals are stock.

Please excuse the white tape on the radiator hose. It is an experiment.