View Single Post
Old 12-20-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
Willowrun

Re: Not sure why '86 CJ7 build

The goal for this Jeep is a stock looking CJ with the primary function of a sand dune driver along with some around town driving. After about a year I had collected the following parts: OEM hood, aftermarket front fenders (rust free OEM are impossible to find), YJ Jeep family roll cage so that people can ride in the back at the dunes without helmets, YJ half doors, perfect condition take off YJ windshield frame, used YJ soft top, rust free OEM CJ tailgate, and a replacement carter carb that should help it run better. It was time to get started.
The person that did the pinstripe job signed it "McCurdy '89" in the back of the Jeep in tiny font. Since I had no idea of the history of this vehicle I looked up the name and the guy is still in business in Georgia. I knew the Jeep wasn't from MI because of the condition so it was good to figure out where it was once from. The Jeep was only 3 years old when it was painted and pinstriped.....why?
I decided to tear it down and start wire wheeling the tub where I could see some rust popping through. I found up to 1/4 inch of bondo running along both sides of the rockers. Other than some rust that had probably come after the bondo was applied, there was no reason this would have been applied other than an owner that didn't like the wavy Jeep sheetmetal from the factory.
Attached Images

Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote