View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
Willowrun

Re: Not sure why '86 CJ7 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by KShortell View Post
No flames here, just PROPS to you, bud!
Thank you! I can see where your dog would love to ride in your Jeep....cracks me up too because your dog sounds like my 2 year old son when he sees the Jeep. More on that later....

OK, so the Jeep is back from paint and at this point I was wanting to take in on a dune trip I had planned in a few weeks. Just needed to spend a few hours getting it together. It took longer than a few hours, and at this point the Jeep was totally unproven mechanically, but we were on our way to the dunes.
The dunes are about 3 hours from our house. We keep a camper and a '73 K5 at the dunes. When I go there I typically take another 4x4 with me to make sure if one vehicle breaks down I have a backup (and I like variety)One of the reasons I wanted a Jeep is it would trailer better than the overweight K5's I usually haul. I was happy after a few minutes of towing it with my Silverado that the weight difference was noticeable. My 12 year old son as we were beginning our journey.

Name:  IMG_2846.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  47.6 KB.

As seen, I purchased some YJ Jeep roll bar padding and bikini top. The Jeep performed...OK. I fiddled with the timing, jetting, and idle for the whole weekend and I could not get rid of an off-idle stumble. Beyond that driving me nuts (I don't think my son, his buddy, or my buddy noticed it) I was pleased with its performance in the dunes. Climbed every hill no problem and had great power when needed. Not bad for an inline 6 with 155K on the odometer.

Name:  IMG_2822.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  55.7 KB
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote