Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #2461
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Also, I read a bit that a VP at the maker of Chassis Saver (competitor of POR-15) wrote. He explained that neither product adheres well to smooth metal and that both manufacturers count on there being rust texture for the paint to adhere to. And that wire brushing and degreasing are the only needed prep steps. If you choose, you may be able to skip the acid on parts that you are going to POR on, and they may not even need the level of fastidious cleaning, although it's cool to watch.
I believe that is correct (against my inner neat freak, but correct) my Mopar buddy was telling me that for years, but being my close friend naturally I didn't believe him, and dismissed it as Mopar lazyness (oh oh, there go more avid readers) I noticed it when painting my squeaky clean as a whistle Muncie SM465 transmission with POR-15 and the stick-it-to-it-avness just wasn't there, go figure. Wish you told me this earlier, jk!

I do love brush painting car parts though rather than aerosoling it, product goes a long way, and no overspray, and less masking.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote