View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 11:31 PM   #17
ss454conv

Re: Above windshield rust

I will add my 2 cents. Just went through this. I was aware of the roof problems that these trucks have and when I bought my 72 I looked closely at the entire roof, above windshield on the inside and over doors. There was some signs (rust stains) around the windshield gasket and above doors but all in all looked decent and there were no holes or soft spots. I decided to replace the outer roof skin due to many small issues, not just what I noticed alone. When I cut the roof skin off I was shocked by how all of the internal parts were very heavily pitted across the tops of both doors and the windshield. I don't want to bum you out, but if you want it fixed correctly, you better be prepared to bust out the checkbook and a new roof (inner & outer) is definitely in your future.
I ended up drilling all the spot welds and making factory like repairs for the inner and outer roofs as well as the side structural supports and both drip rails. I did it all myself and it was a ton of work. I can't imagine paying to have that all done but I guess most put the whole roof on at one time. The problem with that is you don't know if the new used roof is much better then what you have without opening it up. Good luck with whatever route you take.
ss454conv is offline   Reply With Quote