View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #122
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: What can be said about the 4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual transmissio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
He re-uses the roll pins. I would never do that. They're usually fairly cheap and they loose some tension when you drive them through. You don't want em walking through when you're driving.
I concur, same rule of thumb as cotter pins.

Quote:
GM Hurst etc used Nylok nuts for a reason. Loctite may work OK but I've had fasteners with Loctite come loose where Nyloks will stay in place.
From what I saw he reused the single Nylok nut.

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend hardened relay rod bushings. The main reason to have soft plastic relay rod bushings is they wear instead of the rod ends, shifter paddles or, the transmission levers. The Pit Pack with nylon bushings is pretty cheap.
Yeah, I thought that too, those plastic bushings are the sacrificial part, if you replace them with a part that is tougher than the other parts, then your other parts will wear out instead of the part that is meant to wear out.

But than again, he builds race transmissions and not your grocery getters, so there may be a reason, probably tighter fittings, more sturdyability, and race cars are driven less than daylies so the parts can last just fine. Honestly I don't know. ha ha
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote