View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 11:30 PM   #48
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Re: 88 GMC Driver / Project

Lil update

Replaced the crappy trans with a 96+ trans, had to use a 96+ pressure plate, disc and flywheel to do it, as the earlier external slave transmissions have a different finger height on the pressure plate, along with a different ID on the disc and flywheel

The later flywheel is cut out more in the center and the disc is narrower if that makes sense, has a lil more grip since there is less surface area and therefore more pressure

Also went ahead and used a full hydraulic setup from a 96+, I do remember something different about the clutch master tho, seems that I had to use an earlier one because it has the 2 bolt flange and later ones have a square hole they clip into or something.... Been a while since I swapped it

If you're running an NV-4500, do yourself a favor and make sure you get the proper fluid (if you're still running carbon synchros)
GM part number 12346191
Mopar part number (one of these is current other is outdated) 4637579 or 4874459

Castrol made the fluid for GM and Mopar, and it used to be available in stores, but it has been discontinued and is only available at the dealers, and I'm not even sure they still make it for them, so it's hard to come by
Castrol Syntorque Synthetic 75w-90

The 96+ trans is better, but for a 1/2 ton with 3:42 gears it's still a bit deep, I only use granny when needed, but even taking off in second you only get up to about 10-15 without winding it up, but taking off in 3rd bogs it too hard

During the early part of 2015 Van Texas had a tornado, and while helping out I caught something in a tire, had a blow out and wound up getting a new pair of rear tires, since I was getting new tires I powdercoated some 78 Chevy wheels and put some 67 GMC dog dishes on them, when I get new tires for the front, I'll do the other wheels and have a full set of 5-lug 15s with 67 dog dishes

On the 4th of July 2015 I hit a deer and broke the grille, parking lights, and condenser, replaced the grille, but have yet to fix the other stuff

Other than those highlights it's just been regular maintenance and driving

I have a set of poly bushings for the whole truck and new ball joints to go in soon
I've already installed the poly cab mounts and they will be coming off and getting sold, they make the truck ride like a brick compared to a caddilac with the factory rubber mounts

Things to come will be: adding a second alternator (for the demands of my stereo) possibly adding a turbo (already have most of the stuff), paint, interior, putting a fuel cell under the bed, and doing a trailing arm conversion to the rear along with bags in the back instead of coil springs

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote