View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
Northwest Outlaw

Re: '61 Apache "BoomStick"

Build thread commencing, in hopes that it keeps me on task and moving forward. I'll warn you guys again that this is A) my first car project and B) i don't have much of a budget so new parts will be few a far between.
So far what i've done:
-got the engine running after replacing coil, plugs, "rewiring" most of the engine bay. Haven't been able to find the right engine numbers to get a build year, but i'm 95% sure its a 250 based off of distributor placement, intake and exhaust manifolds, valve cover shape. It's definitely NOT the original 235 that it came off the line with. Also has a four? (haven't been able to test drive fast enough to shift up out of third) speed manual tranny with a floor shifter. Steering column shifter linkage still in place in the engine bay.
-rebuilt the Rochester BV carburetor
-removed the gas tank to empty the varnish that was sitting in there. inside of tank was surprisingly "clean" and the sending unit looks to be less than 10 years old. added a clear in-line fuel filter before the pump and haven't had any debris show up.
-bled and replaced brake fluid. pretty sure the front passenger drum isn't really working. I picked up a booster and MC from a '76 c10 for $25 on craigslist in preparation for front disc conversion
-general cleaning inside and out. pressure washing revealed at least three paint colors and a whole lot of filler and rust cancer. body work is low on the priority list though, rat-rod style for the first few years has been accepted as the plan.

Status as of September 1, 2015: Running smooth after the carb rebuild and driving ok, during the day. No working head lights yet but I do have taillights, one brake light and front/rear blinkers.
Attached Images

Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote