View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #23
chaztruett

Re: Lets see your tow mirrors. '69 K20 needs your ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Thank you!
What these started out as were full sized big truck mirrors. The arms are adjustable length-wise (the two collars about the middle). The biggest problem I had was the length of the bottom leg that attaches to the door below the window. Big truck doors are virtually flat where our's flair out about 2". I sectioned the bottom of the bracket the required distance so the outward mirror bracket was vertical. The mirror bracket is held by two "L" brackets; one above the window, and one on the door skin. I drilled two holes for each bracket and bolted them to the door. I did use a back up piece inside the door skin to distribute the load so the skin didn't distort.
After shortening the bottom horizontal section, and adjusting the vertical part of the bracket bolted it to the "L" pieces. (These "L"'s did have to be bent slightly to allow the bracket arms to fit because of the angled contours of the doors.)
There's a lot of thoughts about drilling holes in panels. I think some of the owners would give the truck a shot of Novocain so it didn't hurt as bad. These holes are not a death-sentence to the truck, sometimes they're necessary.
I drove trucks for a living for a while, and yes, the big mirrors create a blind spot. You learn to deal with that and compensate by waiting the two seconds it may take for something to come out of it, or, lean forward or back and look around them.
Awesome! Thank you so much for all the trouble! I hate to reinvent the wheel, if I can cheat off someone, I will ! Thanks again!!! tt