View Single Post
Old 01-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #414
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: NV4500 swap is underway

Will do. I flew out of Louisville midday yesterday. I’ll probably have to go back in a few months to follow up on these buses anyway. Maybe we can connect then. I was actually staying in Hillview at the Holiday Inn near CC Powersports and the Tumbleweed restaurant. Most likely where I will be next time as well.

Regarding the shift tower, I believe there are only 3 GM versions to choose from. First, being the 1994 to 2001 C/K tower, which is the most common. Then there is the P-Chassis tower with is similar but built backwards as the transmission is behind the seat. Lastly, there is the 2001-2006 GM HD truck which is a tad taller due to the 2” body raise on the HD trucks (the trans cover is a tad taller as well). You don’t want to use one of those as that combination places the shifter way too high plus I swear they don’t shift as well.

The tower on the left is what you’re going to want. The tower on the right is the GMT880 HD truck tower (basically 2001-2006 2500HD 6.0L/NV4500). My recommendation would be to find a 1994 and later low rise shift tower (non-GMT880) shift lever, and upper and lower shift boots. From experience, don’t bother with the Advance Adapters NV4500 shifter assembly. Pretty much junk. There are a few towers on Ebay right now along with shifter sticks ($89 is a good price for a complete shift tower, bolts and spacer/seal). The towers are probably aftermarket but better than nothing if you can’t find a good used one.

The GM part number for this shift knob is 15982540. Being this was a P-Chassis specific knob, it is only available through Workhorse dealers

There are more NV4500 pictures in my Polar Bear Suburban thread as well.

Have fun with the swap!
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote