View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #149
Gary V

Re: 66 Pro Street Build (Domeringer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
Thanks for your time. I just bought the book. I have been on here, C10forum, Yellowbullet, and Protouring looking at other peoples builds.

When you say weld one inch at a time are you talking tig or mig? With mig wouldn't that create a cold start issue? I usually limit my mig runs to a 4-6 inches on something structural. I don't get to tig as much on my truck because I am doing it all in my driveway.

Also with your rails and crossmembers, what size material are you using? I did my notch in .188 but ended up with .120 for my crossmember. Any recommendations where to get mandrel bends?
Very good! I think you will enjoy the book. Ron Fornier has been around for a long time and does awesome work. A cold start can usually be attributed to technique, amperage and wire feed speed. Try turning your machine up and starting a little ahead of your stop position and coming back... you can weld hotter if your not traveling so far. It can be difficult to weld heavy structural steel with the low cost tig machines on the market today. They are more suited for bodywork than doing structural. The new small inverter tig machines have a low duty cycle (The number of minutes you can weld in 10 minutes expressed as a percentage, eg. 20% duty cycle = 2 minutes in 10 where the machine is holding the current you originally set) We have a 300 amp Lincoln running .041 wire at work... there is no cold start.

Not a big fan of tig welding unless I have a big machine at my disposal. Having been an arc welder for many years... in my worn out flash burned eyes the penetration you get is far superior to tig. It does take some crazy skills to weld all positions... which is why tig is so popular.

All of the framework on the truck aside from the 4130 tube is 1/8 wall.

Gary

DOMERINGER BUILD
Gary V is offline   Reply With Quote